Health & Safety
Our number one priority is the health and well-being of our campers, staff, and community. Although some things will look different this year, we will still provide a fun-filled, exciting summer for all our campers!
Over the last year, we have worked with the camping community to study and learn how to limit the spread of Covid-19. Our Executive Director has been on a Maryland State Task Force since September, reviewing state overnight camp guidance and creating recommendations for summer 2021. As we plan for 2021, we are dedicated to creating a safe place where campers and staff remain healthy while enjoying the magic of Tockwogh. We are actively following CDC and Maryland State and County Health Department updates and will continue making adjustments to summer camp plans as needed. We will update these FAQ’s as we have more information.
Summer 2021 FAQ’s:
Q: How will you make sure everyone is staying safe and healthy this summer?
A: Camp Tockwogh is committed to following the highest safety standards for all campers and staff. We are actively following the CDC’s camp guidelines as well as the Maryland state and County Health Department guidelines.
- All staff will participate in a health screening, including a temperature check upon arrival.
- All campers will participate in a health screening and first day wellness check-in upon arrival. Parents who are dropping off will also participate in a health screening.
- In order to limit exposure, each cabin/cohort will travel to activities and meals together and will be discouraged from interacting with other campers and staff.
- All areas of camp will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized (handles, doorknobs, tables, common activity areas, etc.) multiple times each day.
- Sanitation stations will be set up in each cabin as well as in various shared areas throughout camp.
- Campers will be required to use sanitizer before and after every activity.
- Campers will be required to wear masks when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Most of our activities take place outdoors. All indoor activities will follow recommended guidelines including but not limited to social distancing and mask-wearing.
- Programs and program areas have been redesigned with physical distancing and safety in mind.
- Staff members will have extensive training in safe physical distancing, stable groups, virus spread reduction and the latest cleaning and disinfection protocols provided by the CDC. In addition, all Y staff members receive training annually in child abuse prevention, first aid, CPR and workplace safety.
Q: What is your plan if someone is exposed to Covid-19?
A: Any camper or staff who has tested positive or has been exposed will be isolated. Parents/guardians of campers will be notified, and the next steps will be communicated.
Q: Will you still offer all the same activities?
A: We will offer most of the same activities in new formats (SEE Q&A #6). Unfortunately, we will not offer horseback riding in 2021.
Q: Are you still offering changeover weekend stays at camp?
A: In order to properly sanitize all areas of camp before a new group of campers arrive, we will not offer changeover weekends at camp this summer.
Q: If I decide not to come to camp, will I be refunded? Is there a deadline for this?
A: Yes, you can receive a full refund on or before April 15th. After April 15 (up to two weeks prior to your camper session) any cancellation will incur a $100 processing fee. Verified COVID related issues within two weeks of the session start date will receive a full refund (families can also choose to roll over to summer 2022). Cancellations outside of COVID related issues, within two weeks of the session start date, be charged the $300 deposit. All payments are due May 1st.
Q: Will my child still be able to pick their own activities?
A: This summer camp will be a little different. Campers will move throughout camp with their cabin cohorts. Together, they will participate in the top 18 camp activities. Cabins will also choose 8 additional activities ensuring all campers have the opportunity to experience all Camp Tockwogh has to offer.